Pages

Friday 27 July 2012

Olympic Gold for Art? Architecture? Music?...... Why No Textile Arts?!

It is rather strange now to contemplate that between 1912 and 1948, Olympic medals were awarded for: literature, music, painting, sculpture, and architecture. According to Richard Stanton's book The Forgotten Olympic Arts Competitions a total of 147 medals were awarded in these arts categories over the years. Germany won a total of 24, Italy 14, France 13, and tied with nine medals each were Austria, Denmark, Great Britain, and the United States. I am asking myself why no textile arts figured in this list.... However, as I sit and toast the opening of the the London 2012 Olympic tonight, I shall feel as though we have done a little to mitigate that omission with our competition - A Mirror To My Art. I have already received images of some completed pieces and I hope those working on their competition pieces are really enjoying their projects.
As Her Majesty the Queen parachuted in to open the Olympics with James Bond - let it never be said that she lacks humour..... image by Fabrizio Bensch, courtesy Reuters.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting! They say you learn something new every day, and I certainly did here as I always thought the Olympics were 100% sports based. Thanks for sharing some new knowledge. :)

    ReplyDelete