Pages

Friday 20 August 2010

Fantabulous Patchwork Intarsia * Leeds Art Gallery * 27 August - 31 October


I raved about this exhibition which was first seen in Vienna at the beginning of this year - and, oh goodness me, it is coming to the UK and will be on display in Leeds Art Gallery, Yorkshire! My travel is booked and I am ready to go. Cloth Intarsia or Mosaics are special forms of inlaid patchwork employing fulled, non-fraying wool offcuts abutted (not seamed) which are joined by almost invisible, tiny stitches on the reverse. They possess distinct, bold and well-designed iconography often taken from printed religious sources. Some items are dated as early as the 14th and 15th centuries and their production was widespread, from Persia and the Ottoman Empire in the East to Wales and Great Britain in the West, and as far north as Sweden and Finland. Often made by craftsmen tailors, there is even a sub-branch composed entirely of military epaulettes.

And there is the most incredible catalogue to accompany this exhibition
- I am so lucky to have the kindest friends who sent me a copy from Germany - it is highly, highly recommended.

1 comment: