Pages

Tuesday 5 May 2009

Weald and Downland Open Air Museum





Another busy day at Parham House yesterday - my voice went on strike just after 5pm and I was too tired to make much sense of a blog entry even though I was very excited and wanted to tell you all about it. At Parham, I was privileged to spend two days in a beautiful room with a dozen fabulous Stuart needlework pictures - upon which I was still finding new birds and beasties to admire after the two days were through. The days flashed by in a sea of visitors who were keen to hear more about these pictures and the items in the Goodhart collection. It was lovely to see people beam with pleasure at learning a little more about the background of these wonderful pieces.

So I didn't have as much chance as I would have liked to get out and about to see the rest of the exhibits. However, I was very struck by the work of the Weald and Downland Open Air Museum which was located in a marquee in the grounds of Parham House. At present they are hard at work fabricating period costumes for the interpreters to wear in the museum. They are using traditional weaves with dyes of madder and walnut, and help from the pattern books of Janet Arnold. And I thought you would like to see - and maybe visit the museum if you are near Chichester.

No comments:

Post a Comment